Thursday, February 17, 2011

Up Close with Yao Ming -Time For Kids Interview- (Reading Class)

Yao Ming, the 7-foot 6-inch, 'Little Giant from China' and Houston Rockets' center, has been the focus of the media both in China and U.S. the moment he arrived in 2002. Yao Ming has demonstrated his talent and strength as a powerful player. He had a successful 2004-2005 NBA season and is a three-time NBA All-Star. Many people predict that he will become one of the greatest basketball players in NBA history.

Before Yao Ming arrived, I kept wondering if with his enormous size, he would be intimidating. But I immediately became relaxed and comfortable after he started to talk. There is something special about his personality. During my entire interview, he was very well versed and he was sincere, kind, caring, personable, and sometimes philosophical. We talked about his life in China, his journey to the NBA and the Rockets and his current and future goals. 


TFK: I heard when you were 9 years old, the same age as me; you started to attend the amateur sports school in Shanghai. What was your life like as a kid growing up in China? 
Yao Ming: Nothing really special. I went to the school in the morning. In the afternoon at 2:00 o'clock, I did my home work and then played with neighborhood kids. When I was 9 years old and began to play basketball, I had a regular time to practice basketball from 2:00 to 5:00 in the afternoon. 


Yao Ming
Kid Reporter Trisha poses next to Yao Ming.
TFK: What is the major difference between playing in China and here in the US and what do you like best about playing in China and in the U.S.? 
Yao Ming: There are too many areas that are different. In terms of playing basketball and life, there are just too many areas that differ. This is because the differences exist in the cultures between the two countries are so vast; it takes time to change yourself and get used to them. In terms of comparisons, what do I like best about playing in the U.S.? I should say the way they create the atmosphere in the games is much better than that in China. China’s professional league basketball games are not very mature; the atmosphere during the games is not very enthusiastic. It has not been exploited to its max. But there are a few good things about playing in China… It’s my family hobby. 

TFK: What has been your most difficult adjustment to make from a CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) player to an NBA player? 
Yao Ming: I feel that I did not make too many adjustments; except for the language…I must speak English when I am here. 

TFK: You have been selected as an All Star three times. What does it feel like to play in an All Star Game with all those other great players? 
Yao Ming: The All Star Game is not just a game; it contains many many elements inside. It is a weekend to let the fans play and also let our players play. In addition to the games, it contains a lot of other things: such as the 3 point shootout, slam dunk contest, skill challenge …and many other fun things, it is called 'Jam Fest'. It is a holiday for basketball.

TFK: I know you participate in the NBA's 'Read to Achieve' program and you have read to kids both in the U.S. and China. I read that you said 'Reading and learning are important no matter where you live…'Can you tell me your purpose of reading to the kids? 
Yao Ming: Knowledge is very important. Even for players like us, we still need to read a lot. Knowledge is not just the knowledge of books. There are various kinds of knowledge. For us who play basketball, we should be able to summarize our experiences of success and failure. This is also a type of learning. So learning is very, very important for every profession. 

TFK: What were your favorite childhood books? 
Yao Ming: I liked to read history books and biographies. To this date, I still like these types of books. 

TFK: You are also involved in a lot of charity work. You participated in NBA's 'Basketball Without Borders' program and you are the spokesperson for China's AIDS Prevention Campaign and promote bone marrow donation in Beijing. Could you tell me more about your role with Ronald McDonald House Charities? 
Yao Ming: This, I think… How to put it? I don't know why, but this is something I truly enjoy doing and it really makes me feel good to do it. This is a calling. I feel it is a calling. In this world, I think one person's influence is far from being enough. The reason I did this is because I hope more and more people can join us. 

TFK: Most great basketball players are always trying to improve their skills. What skills are you trying to improve? 
Yao Ming: I want to learn to better help my team. Any types of skills that can better help me to assist my team are what I need to learn. 

TFK: Which teammate has helped you the most during your NBA career? Why? 
Yao Ming: My career is still very short, (you know) my professional career. But I have learned good experiences and better things from almost all my teammates. I must say that every one I have dealt with has been very helpful to me. 

TFK: Would you say Shaquille O'Neal is the toughest rival you have faced so far? If not him, who is the toughest rival for you and why? 
Yao Ming: (Laughs) There is no such thing like 'if not him'! It is him! There is no 'if' at all! 

TFK: Which player in the NBA do you enjoy watching the most? Why? 
Yao Ming: You should know this world is very exciting! Just like you don’t want to only stick to eating one thing out of the whole meal. You eat a little bit of everything. Playing basketball is the same. From the view of appreciation, watching different types of players play is a real enjoyment for me. 

TFK: This is your fourth year with the NBA. Your performances in recent games have made many fans very excited! How has your role on the Rockets changed as you have gained experience and improved your skills? 
Yao Ming: My coach always has very high expectations of me. I have also been constantly trying my very best to meet his expectations. Not just because he expects me to, I want to do this myself too. He has given me a goal and I feel that now I have found a way to reach this goal. 

TFK: What are your goals for this season? 
Yao Ming: My current goal? (Smiles) The current goal is making the playoffs! 

TFK: What do you think the Rockets have to do to make the playoffs? 
Yao Ming: To win every game that we are supposed to win and treat every game cautiously and seriously. 

TFK: Who has been the most influential person in your life helping you getting where you are today? Why? 
Yao Ming: My parents. Because they have influenced me so much! From basketball (because they used to be basketball players themselves) to lessons in life. 

TFK: When you are not playing basketball, what other sports do you like to play? 
Yao Ming: Swimming. Before I played basketball, I used to play water polo, but I was considered a slow swimmer, I wasn’t allowed to swim anymore, so I started to play basketball. Right now it is the basketball season, I don’t have much time to swim. But I swim in the summer when I have some free time. 

TFK: You are considered China's pride. People in China and Chinese Americans here in the States have very high expectations of you. Do you feel a lot of pressure and tension knowing that all of China is watching your every move on the court? 
Yao Ming: Yes, I feel a lot of pressure and I used to be nervous, but I am getting used to it. You need to learn how to play your game and live your life normally under pressure and tension. Those things are beyond your control. You can only get used to them, they won’t get used to you. 

TFK: You are a great role model for today’s youth. What advice do you want to give to the kids in the U.S. who want to become a great basketball player or a great athlete like you when they grow up? 
Yao Ming: Study hard. Do not get injured. 



Special Thanks to:
Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment